I was tagged by the lovely Maria Ann Green in the Writerly Meme. The concept is simple: I answer a few questions about the main character from my latest novel. This novel is only a few chapters long so far, and my first attempt at a New Adult (NA) novel.
1. What is the name of your character? Is he/she fictional or a historic person?
Carli, she’s fictional.
2. When and where is the story set?
The story is contemporary, set in Boston at my alma mater: Boston University, though the University hasn’t been named as of yet, and I’m not sure it will be.
3. What should we know about him/her?
Carli has a hearing loss, and identifies as hearing impaired. She’s a math education major in her senior year. She also has constant headaches that she feels are normal.
4. What is the main conflict? What messes up his/her life?
Carli meets up with a Deaf grad student, Reed, who brings her into the Deaf world. She starts learning ASL and grows more comfortable with her hearing loss. The ultimate conflict comes in when Carli learns her hearing loss is related to her headaches, from a trauma she doesn’t remember.
5. What is the personal goal of the character?
When Carli’s hearing loss and headaches increase she has to learn how to function with less sound, and intense pain.
6. Is there a working title for this novel, and can we read more about it?
I stink at titles, but am toying with the idea of Silence (essentially, anticipate never seeing this title again). I only have five chapters written, so you almost know more than I do at this point!
7. When can we expect the book to be published? As I mentioned above, I only have five chapters written, so it will take some time before this is ready. My muse is adamant on this one, and I’m excited about my first female main character with a hearing loss. So one day, it will be ready. Stay tuned!